Target Market Identification
It’s critical that you identify your Target Market and consider your business from a customer’s point of view if you want to be appropriately listed on Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs).
If you don’t consider the following key points, you won’t stand much chance of capturing people who are searching for your field of business and the area you service!
Identifying and linking to your
To give yourself the best chance of linking to your Target Market, you need to answer the following questions.
Who is my Target Market?
What will they be searching for?
Narrowing your Target Market to a realistic search field
Now that you’ve identified your Target Market, you need to be realistic about your field of business and the area you service.
- If your business is a motel in Glenelg, don’t expect to need top position on SERPs when people are searching for “accommodation Glenelg”.
- This is because it’s a very broad search field and the SERPs will show a variety of accommodation available in Glenelg.
- However if they are searching for “Motel in Glenelg” then you definitely need to be listed high, because these people are your Target Market and you should take advantage of this!
- You would be wise to enlist the help of a reputable Search Engine Optimisor to set up a keyphrase like “Glenelg Motel”, so that you will be listed high on SERPs and will reach your Target Market.
- If you have an online E-commerce business that sells televisions for example, it’s even more vital to use appropriate keyphrases like “television shop online” or “buy television online”, not just “television”.
- A reputable Optimisor knows how to maximise your opportunities to reach your Target Market, so that your website performs at optimum capacity.
If you don’t understand how information is listed on SERPs, our explanation should help you gain a better understanding and appreciation of the listings you see.
More about SERPs Explained